A Bengali Fish Curry
Difficulty: Medium | Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins | Yield: 4 servings
350 – 400 gms of Fish* (4-5 Pieces)
1 Small Onion
½ Medium Sized Tomato
½ tsp Ginger Paste
½ tsp Garlic Paste
1 tsp Dhania (Coriander) Powder
1 tsp Haldi (Turmeric) Powder
1 tsp Chillie Powder
2 Green chillies
1½ tbsp Curd
1 Pinch of Garam Masala Powder**
5-6 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- Clean and wash the fish pieces and rub ½ tsp of haldi powder and 1 tsp of salt into the pieces and let them stand for about 30 mins.
- In the meanwhile make a paste of the oninon, ginger and garlic separately. Also slice the tomatoes.
- Now in a pan add about 3 tbsp of oil and lightly shallow fry the fish pieces. Take the pieces out and leave them aside.
- Now add the remaining oil and add the onion paste. Fry the onions till it's colour turns dark brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste and stir for a min. Add a little water.
- Now add the dhania, haldi and chillie powder and again a little water. Stir and fry the masala. Once dry add a little water once more and fry the masala again. The frying of masala should be done 2-3 times adding a little water each time so that the masala cooks well and becomes a smooth paste.
- Now add the curd and the tomatoes. Mix them well and add a little salt at this stage. The salt will help to soften the tomatoes quickly. Cook till oil starts separating.
- Now add about a cup of water and then add the fish pieces. Slit the green chillies and add them as well. Season with salt according to your taste.
- Cover a cook for 2-3 mins.
- Remove cover, and cook on high flame till the excess water evaporates and oil stars to separate.
- Now sprinkle a pinch of garam masala and remove the pan from the heat.
- Garnish with some fresh green chillies and serve hot with steamed rice.
* Generally, you can use any kind of fish which is big enough for cutting into big pieces. But ideally Carps are used for this preparation.
** Garam Masala Powder includes equal proportion of cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon grinded together.