This simple and light recipe serves as a one item meal, ideal for dinner. One may also serve it as separate dishes with some accompaniments.
For the Prawns:
½ cup Shrimps*
½ large Capsicum
1½ cups Coconut Milk (Thick)
2 large Garlic Pods
¼ tsp Red Chillie Powder
2 tbsp Oil
- Remove the shells of the prawns, keeping its tails intact. De-vein and clean them well.
- De-vein and clean the shrimps as well. The shells should be removed fully in this case.
- Thinly slice the capsicum and grate the garlics.
- Marinate the prawns and the shrimps with the garlic and the juice of the lemon for 5-10 mins.
- In a pan heat the oil and add the marinated prawns and shrimps. Cook on hig flame till water evaporates.
- Add the capsicums and fry for a while till the capsicums softens.
- Now add the coconut milk, chillie powder and a little salt according to taste.
- Cook for a minute or two and remove from flame. If you use a light coconut milk then keep the heat on till you get a creamy gravy.
2 cups Rice (Ideally Basmati Rice)
2 tbps Coriander Leaves**
3 tbsp Butter
¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt to taste
- Wash the rice and put it in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add 4 cups of water.
- Now add the turmeric powder, butter, coriander leaves and salt (about 2 tsp).
- Cook it for 20 mins. Once done, stir the rice lightly with a fork.
- To cook in a pressure cooker, melt the butter in the cooker, add the turmeric powder.
- Then add the rice and the salt. Cook till the water eveporates and the rice is lightly fried. Add water as required depending on the type of rice used. Cook till done. Stir in the coriander leaves once the rice is cooked.
Now take a full plate and arrange half the rice in the shape of a Donut. Pour half of the prawn preparation. Repeat with another plate.
*You may use only Prawns. In that case use around 18-20 of them
**The rice can be made without coriander leaves as well. Simple buttered rice also gives a lovely taste.