½ cup Toor Dal
3 small Potatoes
1 large Onion
2 small Tomatoes
7-8 Ladies Finger* (Okra)
2 Drum Sticks*
2 tbsp Tamarind**
½ tsp Mustard Seeds
2 Dry Red Chillie**
10-12 Curry Leaves
2 tbsp Coriander Leaves
4 tbsp Sambar Powder**
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- Clean Clean the vegetables. Cut the potatoes into halves. Slice the onions and the tomatoes into 8 pieces each. Cut the ladies fingers and the drumsticks into 3” long pieces.
- Boil the dal and the potatoes and leave them aside.
- In a pan heat the oil and add the mustard seeds, red chillies and the curry leaves.
- Once the mustard seeds starts to splutter, add the ladies finger and the drum sticks.
- Saute' them for a minute or so and then add the onions.
- Once the onions are translucent add the boiled potatoes, tomatoes and the dal.
- Add 2 cups of water and salt according to taste and simmer and cook for 10-15 mins.
- Mix the tamarind in ¼ cup of water (If dry tamarind is used soak it in advance). Strain and add it to the sambar.
- Now add the coriander leaves and sambar masala powder.
- Cook on high flame for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot with Dosa/Idli/Uttapam or simply with plain rice.
*You may add other vegetables also like brinjal, tapioca, ridge gourd etc.
**Depending on your taste you may vary the quantities of these.