Difficulty: Medium | Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 15-20 mins| Yield: 12 Pieces
1 cup Urad Daal
2-3 Green Chillies*
Handful of Curry Leaves
½ tsp Baking powder
Salt to Taste
Oil for Deep Frying
- Wash and soak the daal for 15-20 mins. You may soak if for a longer duration, but min it would about 15 mins for it to get soaked properly.
- While the daal is soaking, chop the ginger and the green chillies and wash and clean the curry leaves.
- Now make a paste of the daal adding as little waster as possible.
- Take the paste in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients to it. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Take a handful of the daal mixture and then try to make a whole in it with your thumb while its still in your palm. Make a big whole as when you finally drop it into the oil, it'll tend to become small.**
- Now turn over your palm and drop the daal mixture into the oil in that form. Make sure u don't burn your fingers here.
- Now repeat for the rest and fry on medium to high heat till they are golden brown in colour.
- Remove from heat and ideally serve with sambar and coconut chutney. But you can just simply have it with tea or coffee as it tastes good anyways!
*Add according to taste.
**If making the wholes sounds difficult, then simply drop them into the oil without the whole. That's will give you round shaped vadas.