Difficulty: Easy | Prep Time: 1 Day | Cook Time: 30 mins| Yield: 4-5 servings
1 cup Rajma (Red Kidney Beans)
1 medium Onion
1 medium Tomato
1 tsp Garlic Paste
½ tsp Red Chilli Powder*
4 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- Pressure cook the rajma with some salt until its well done. The beans should crack a little once its well done. It normally takes about 10-15 mins. If you do not have a pressure cooker, you may cover and cook it in a pan but it'll take quite some time for the beans to cook properly.
- Make fine julienne of the ginger piece, slice the onions and chop the tomatoes.
- Now heat oil in a pan. Add the onions.
- Fry till they turn light brown in colour.
- Then add the ginger julienne and stir for about 10 secs.
- Now add the garlic paste and again continue frying for another 10 secs.
- Now add the tomatoes.
- At this point add a little salt. This will help in softening the tomatoes quickly. But do keep in mind that the rajma has been already cooked with some salt in it.
- Keep frying till the tomatoes are cooked. Now add the chilli powder and stir well.
- Add the rajma to this mixture along with the water its been cooked in.**
- Now simmer and cook for about 10-15 mins.
- Once this is done, you'll find that the water has reduced to give you a nice thick and creamy consistency. If not, then uncover the lid and cook until you reach that consistency.
- Check seasoning and adjust salt if required.
- Rajma is synonymous with chawal (i.e. Rice) but you may also have it with roti or parathas.
*Add according to taste.
**At this point you may also want to pressure cook the rajma again with the masala, if you feel its not well cooked yet. But this time you'll not need to pressure cook it for a long while.