Difficulty: Easy | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins| Yield: 4-5 Servings
½ cup Musoor Dal
½ small Onion
1 small Tomato
½ tsp Garlic Paste*
1 Green Chillie**
2 tsp Coriander Leave
¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to Taste
- Wash and cook the dal with 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker or in a pan. In a cooker it should take about 6-7 minutes, but in a pan it'll take longer.
- In the meanwhile finely chop the onions, tomatoes, green chillie and coriander leaves.
- Now heat the oil in a pan and the onions. Fry till golden brown.
- Add the garlic paste and fry it for a few seconds with the onions.
- Now add the turmeric powder. Stir
Immediately add the tomatoes, green chillies and a little salt so that the tomatoes soften quickly.
- Once the tomatoes are slightly cooked, add the dal stir and add salt again according to taste.
- Let this come to a boil, add the coriander leaves and another cup of water.
- Simmer and cook for another 5-10 mins till you get a nice consistency and the dal is not too watery.
- Serve hot with steamed rice ot chapatis.
*You may use julliens or chopped garlics as well.
** Use 2 green chillies if you like the dal to be a little more hot.