½ Medium Onion
2 tbsp Poppy Seed Paste (Posto/Khas khas)
6-7 Cashew Nuts**
2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup*
1 Medium Pod Garlic (½ tsp paste)
½ tsp Cumin Powder
½ tsp Red Chilli Powder***
3 tbsp Oil
Salt to Taste
- Finely slice the onion.
- Make a paste of the poppy seed paste, cashew nuts, tomato ketchup, garlic and the cumin powder.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and fry til they turn translucent in colour.
- Now add the paste mixture, red cillie powder and the salt according to taste.
- Cook it for a while on medium heat.
- Once oil starts separating, add about a cup of water.
- Simmer and bring the gravy to a boil.
- Now carefully break the eggs and drop them raw into the boiling gravy. Be very careful not to drop some pieces of shells inside as well.
- Sprinkle a wee bit of salt on top of the yolks while its still soft. This will ensure that salt goes inside them.
- Now cover and cook for 2-3 mins on medium or until the eggs are fully cooked.
- The gravy should be thick in consistency, so adjust the water accordingly.
- Also check seasoning and adjust to your taste.
- Remove from heat and serve with steamed rice.
*Adding ketchup gives a nice tangy but sweet and souring taste to the gravy. If you prefer you may instead use tomato puree which will not give you the sweet aftertaste.
** May omit this. Though this gives a creamy texture to the gravy. And ofcourse, it gives a better taste as well!
***Add according to taste.