Poached Egg Curry

Difficulty: Easy | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins| Yield: 2-4 Servings

INGREDIENTS
4 Eggs
½ Medium Onion
2 tbsp Poppy Seed Paste (Posto/Khas khas)
6-7 Cashew Nuts**
2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup*
1 Medium Pod Garlic (½ tsp paste)
½ tsp Cumin Powder
½ tsp Red Chilli Powder***
3 tbsp Oil
Salt to Taste

DIRECTIONS

  1. Finely slice the onion.
  2. Make a paste of the poppy seed paste, cashew nuts, tomato ketchup, garlic and the cumin powder.
  3. Heat the oil in a pan.
  4. Add the onions and fry til they turn translucent in colour.
  5. Now add the paste mixture, red cillie powder and the salt according to taste.
  6. Cook it for a while on medium heat.
  7. Once oil starts separating, add about a cup of water.
  8. Simmer and bring the gravy to a boil.
  9. Now carefully break the eggs and drop them raw into the boiling gravy. Be very careful not to drop some pieces of shells inside as well.
  10. Sprinkle a wee bit of salt on top of the yolks while its still soft. This will ensure that salt goes inside them.
  11. Now cover and cook for 2-3 mins on medium or until the eggs are fully cooked.
  12. The gravy should be thick in consistency, so adjust the water accordingly.
  13. Also check seasoning and adjust to your taste.
  14. Remove from heat and serve with steamed rice.
NOTES
*Adding ketchup gives a nice tangy but sweet and souring taste to the gravy. If you prefer you may instead use tomato puree which will not give you the sweet aftertaste.
** May omit this. Though this gives a creamy texture to the gravy. And ofcourse, it gives a better taste as well!
***Add according to taste.

3 comments:

  1. Have been looking out for this recipe since long. Thank you so much..Looks appealing. will try out and let u know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know :) Do get back on how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Uma,

    I was just browsing the net and found your food. I must say it is quite impressive. I tried making your poached egg curry today. I was little worried when I started making it, I was wondering how it would turn out. I also didnt have poppy seeds with me at home. But however, I went ahead with it and I must say it has come out very well. I also have a food blog of my own http://preethiskitchensurprises.blogspot.com/ and also love cooking and experimenting with food just like you. Do feel free to visit my blog and post your comments.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin