Difficulty: Easy | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins | Yield: 3-4 servings
500 gms of Mutton/Lamb
4 medium Potatoes
1 small Oinon
1 small Tomato
½” Cinamom Stick
1 Tej Patta
½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
1 tsp Ginger Paste
½ tsp Garlic Paste
½ tsp Coriander Powder
¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
¼ tsp Red Chille Powder*
1 Green Chillie*
3 tbps Oil
1 tbsp Ghee
Salt to taste
- Wash and clean the mutton pieces and leave aside.
- Finely slice the onion and the tomato.
- In a pressure cooker**, heat the oil.
- Fry the potatoes untill golden brown and leave them aside.
- In the same oil add the tej patta, whole cardamom (make a slit beforehand), cinamon and the cloves.
- Add the onions and fry till they are translucent.
- Now add the ginger garlic paste and saute till they are fried a little.
- Now add the powdered masalas and the tomato and a little salt so that the tomatoes soften quickly.
- Stir till the tomatoes soften a little and then add a little water.
- Cook till oil starts to separate from the masala.
- Now add the mutton pieces and fry them along with the masala for about 4-5 minutes adding a little water if the masala tends to stick at the bottom of the cooker.
- Add 3 cups of water, fried potatoes, green chillie, ghee, garam masala powder and salt according to taste.
- Pressure cook for about 3-4 minutes on high flame and then for about 12-15 mins on low flame.
- Remove from heat and serve with hot steaming rice.
*You may increase the quantities of these as per your taste.
**If you do not have a pressure cooker, then follow the procedure using a pan instead. You'll need to cover and cook the mutton in the pan for about 25-30 mins or untill the mutton pieces are well cooked and soft.