Difficulty: Difficult | Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 10 mins| Yield: 4-6 Servings
2 Medium Pomfrets (300-400 gms each)
100 gms of Coriander Leaves
4 tbsp Grated Coconut
2 Green Chillies*
2 Medium Pods of Garlic (1½ tsp Paste)
2 small Lemons
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Oil
- Clean the pomfret without cutting it.
- Now we need to make a slit in the pomfrets very delicately from just below the head.
- The incision has to be made lengthwise and right above the bones. That is, the bottom part of the flesh would remain attached to the bone and the top part separated from the bones. The incision should be deep enough to reach the stomach cavity and also cover the whole fish till the tail. But please be careful so as not to make a slit through and cut the stomach as well! Also note that only one such slit is required, i.e., you should not repeat the same for the other side of the fish as well.
- Once you make the slits for both the pomfrets, apply the juice of the lemons and about 2tsp of salt to the pomfrets. Leave aside for about 10-15 mins.
- Now wash and clean the coriander leaves. Remove mostly all the stems, leaving the tender ones with the leaves.
- Make a smooth paste of the coriander leaves along with the coconut, chillies and the garlic. Add as little water as possible so that the filling is not at all liquidy.
- Now divide the filling into two and stuff the mixture into the slits of the fishes. Stuff in as much of the filling as possible even though some of it might tend to come out with a little pressure. It'll only ensure you have a tastier preparation! :)
- Now heat a non-stick frying pan (or tava) and smear ½ tbsp of oil.
- Now place one of the pomfret and cook on medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Gently flip it over and cook the other side as well. Repeat the procedure for the other one as well. You may also use the oven for cooking the pomfrets. Use your oven settings accordingly, just remember pomfrets cook very easily. Whichever the mode used, grill or bake, make sure they are cooked and nicely browned on both sides.
- Serve hot with any suitable accompaniments of your choice.
*This is normally good to taste if the filling is a little hot, but you can adjust as per your preference.